Tilson, Heins Like Money Managers

In their latest column for Kiplinger’s magazine, Whitney Tilson and John Heins say they are high on an unloved area of the market: money management firms that specialize in stock funds. In the article (not yet available on Kiplinger’s web site), Tilson and Heins write that money management is a fairly simple and very profitable type of business. “One of the beauties of the business is that costs don’t march in lock step with revenues,”… Read More

Kass on Ceilings and Floors

Columnist and money manager Doug Kass is standing by his earlier call that the S&P 500 has hit its high for the year, but says current conditions make for a “fertile environment” for stock-pickers and traders. “My guess is that the risk/reward has tilted slightly more positive based upon the strength of the domestic economy coupled with the several percentage point drop in the markets over the last few weeks,” Kass writes on TheStreet.com. “The… Read More

Wien Still Bullish on China

While potential interest rate hikes in China have concerned investors, Byron Wien says he remains bullish on the country. Wien, the vice chairman of Blackstone Advisory Services, tells Yahoo! TechTicker that China has been successful in confronting every economic problem it has faced, and that its authoritarian government actually makes addressing economic problems easier than it would be in a democratic country. Wien also discusses why more stringent down payment regulations make China’s hot housing… Read More

Dreman-Inspired Approach Beats Market by Finding Hidden Gems

In his latest article for Seeking Alpha, Validea CEO John Reese takes a look at his David Dreman-inspired strategy, which is handily beating the market both this year and over the long haul. “While most of the gurus upon whom my ‘Guru Strategies’ are based are contrarians, one stands out among all the others: David Dreman,” Reese writes. “Throughout his long career, Dreman has sifted through the market’s dregs in order to find hidden gems,… Read More

Hulbert: Black Friday Not an Indicator of Market Performance

The investment world usually waits with bated breath to see how “Black Friday” goes, assuming that the big holiday shopping kickoff will be a sign of consumers’ financial health and their willingness to spend during the biggest shopping season of the year. That often drives the market upward or downward in the day or two after Thanksgiving, MarketWatch’s Mark Hulbert writes But, Hulbert says, those Black Friday-driven moves aren’t an indicator of how the rest… Read More

Biggs: Economy Improving, Big Market Gains Could Be Coming

While many are fearful about the repercussions of the Irish debt crisis, hedge fund manager Barton Biggs says both the U.S. and global economies are improving. Biggs tells Bloomberg that he has about half his portfolio in emerging markets, mostly in Asia, and half in U.S. stocks. He also says that, “all things being equal”, he thinks the next move for stocks may well be a big one to the upside.    

A Look Inside a Little-Known Fund Star

Dennis Delafield and Vincent Sellechia’s little-known Delafield Fund has beaten 99% of funds in its category over the past five and ten years, and the latest issue of Financial Planning magazine takes a look at how the two managers have fared so well. The fund allows Delafield and Sellechia to roam the entire market, regardless of market cap or style distinction, Financial Planning’s Ilana Polyak reports. But most often, she says, the fund ends up… Read More

Bogle: Focus on U.S. Equities, Not International Stocks

Vanguard founder Jack Bogle says stocks could double in the next decade, far outpacing bonds, but also says the global economy is in worse shape than many realize. “I expect stocks will have a dividend yield of about 2 percent, with stock price appreciation of maybe 6 percent from earnings growth,” Bogle recently told CNBC when asked about his long-term forecast. “So you might see a total return of around 7 to 8 percent. For… Read More

Bolton Sees Multi-Year Bull; Favors Growth Stocks

Anthony Bolton, one of the U.K.’s top fund managers, says he thinks the bull market in equities has a ways to go, and says the bull is now in a phase in which growth stocks should fare well. “I think we are in a multi-year bull market,” Bolton told InvestorDaily, an Australian subsidiary of Morningstar. “The first phase of that finished earlier this year and we then had a decent consolidation like many bull markets have.”… Read More